A few weeks back, Islington Giving's second round of Young Grant-Makers came to an end. These are the organisations that the group of young people in Islington have decided to fund.
Across eight months, a group of 16 to 26 year olds living in Islington met weekly as the Young Grant Makers. They had the responsibility of deciding which organisations would make a real difference to young people in the borough.
After an open call, and with a budget of £80,000, they reviewed the different organisations discussed their options and short-listed 10 applications.
The Young Grant-Makers then visited each of the finalists in small groups and learned more about each of them and their approach.
By the end of the year, the young people made their final, and very hard, decisions. They have decided to fund:
- Amberliegh, an inclusive arts, drum and dance music project for children was awarded £25,000 over 2 years towards core costs for weekend music, drama and social sessions.
- Access to Sports, which delivers a wide range of sporting activities for children and young people in Islington was awarded £16,000 over 1 year towards new leadership academy programme for disadvantaged young people.
- All Change, an organisation that brings artists and communities together to develop arts projects which transform lives and make a difference was awarded £17,000 over 2 years towards expanding the B-Creative programme for young women focusing on social change activities.
- Daylight Theatre Foundation, a multi-use, multi-purpose centre for adults with learning difficulties in North London was awarded £8,000 over 1 year towards a production of Oliver! with Samuel Rhodes School SEN students.
- Holloway Neighbourhood Group, a charity providing opportunities to bring the community together in Holloway, north London was awarded £14,000 over 2 years towards a programme of mindfulness for young people, including a mindfulness café.
Thanks to Islington Giving's Young Grant-Makers, their partners Children in Need and City Bridge Trust, who helped them run the programme in 2019 and everyone else involved in another successful round of the programme!
Get in touch, Islington Giving is recruiting
17-24? Live in Islington? Want to have real power to make change in your local community? Become a Young Grant-Maker!
Please do get in touch:
E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 07985 289407