Who we are
Cripplegate Foundation is a local charitable foundation which works to achieve better lives for the people of Islington. We do this by working with and supporting local activities and services that residents value.
Our vision is of a society where everyone can live a rewarding and fulfilled life free from poverty and inequality.
- We aim to improve the lives of Islington’s most disadvantaged residents.
- We take an evidence-based, innovative and proactive approach.
- We work in partnership with others to improve local support and resources, fund voluntary organisations, and advocate positive change in policy and practice.
The context in Islington
Islington is full of opportunity, but can also be a tough place to live, with complex challenges.
The national context is one in which poverty and inequality are growing; in 2018, the UN Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights, Professor Philip Alston, commented on the UK’s high and unacceptable rate of child poverty.
London itself is a highly unequal city and Islington stands at extremes when compared to much of London and the rest of the UK.
Our priorities and actions
Building on our experience and learning, over the next 3 years across all our work we will:
- Respond to the needs of the local community and empower local people
- Effect change and increase resources for Islington
- Demonstrate success to influence wider change
Challenge ourselves and our ways of working.
We will apply these four priorities in all our work. We will develop our advocacy role and influence. This recognises the ongoing success and profile of Islington Giving which gives the Foundation the opportunity to make a step change in its own activities.
We will measure our success against this strategy by setting out clear action plans for each year against our priorities with outputs and outcomes that can be evidenced and monitored.
This is an abridged version of our full 2019 - 2021 strategy.